Annual Membership Meeting
Annual Membership Meeting to Be Held at Leadership & Development
Changes to Governance Structure to Be Discussed
KAIA's annual membership (business) meeting will be held on Wednesday, October 16 at 3:30 p.m. during the Leadership & Development Conference at the Bluemont Hotel in Manhattan. The Board of Directors encourages all members to attend. This year's meeting will feature a discussion on proposed changes to the KAIA board structure and corresponding by-law changes.
In recent years the KAIA Board has spent a lot of time reviewing the optimal board structure for leading KAIA. How to structure boards has been a hot topic for many non-profit associations as many organizations look to reduce costs of governance and create a streamlined, nimble leadership structure to meet today's quickly changing business environment. Below is a summary of the proposed amendments to the by-laws:
- Reduction of the number of zones from six to two. While serving our members in all geographical areas of Kansas remains a priority for the Board and staff, this change is necessitated by an inability to find members willing to serve on the Board from western Kansas zones.
- Limiting the Board to 13 directors and the non-voting Executive Director. The smaller Board will create a favorable environment for robust discussions while making it able to respond to member needs and the changing business environment more quickly.
- Giving the KAIA the option of making up to two, of the 13 voting Directors, non-voting Directors representing outside entities such as industry partners, consultants, or vendors. This flexibility brings the opportunity to bring in specific expertise for solving members' issues and an expanded point of view.
- More clearly define the terms and term limits of the Directors.
- A few miscellaneous changes to clean-up the language used.
A redline version of the amended by-laws along with the revised zone map will be provided at the membership meeting and voted on. Again, we encourage members to attend this meeting to be sure we have the required quorum. For questions please reach out to KAIA President Lee Gleason at email@example.com or President-Elect Kristy Wilson at firstname.lastname@example.org.